14 T unsalted butter
1/4 C granulated sugar
2 C packed DARK brown sugar
2 C + 2T unbleached all-purpose flour (10.5 ounces)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 T vanilla extract
- Brown 10 T butter. Remove to large heatproof bowl and stir in remaining 4 T cold butter to melt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350,* Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In pie plate (or other shallow dish) mix granulated sugar and 1/4 C packed brown sugar, rubbing between fingers until well combined. Set aside. Whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder together in medium bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 3/4 C brown sugar to cooled butter. Mix until no sugar lumps remain. Scrape down sides of bowl and add egg, yolk, and vanilla until fully incorporated (don't need electric mixer for this - just rubber spatula). Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined - about 1 minute. Make sure no flour pockets remain (I usually mix a little bit with my hands - don't over do this!).
- Divide dough into 24 portions, rolling into balls. Toss balls in sugar mixture to coat and set on baking sheets - 12 cookie balls per sheet.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will have cracks and look raw between cracks). 12-14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature.