1/16/07

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

A couple of notes:
*the recipe calls for buttermilk. You can use regular milk with about 1 tablespoon of vinegar added. This will sour the milk (yes it may even have some lumps in it. I promise it is ok!)
* I used canned peas not frozen but both work
*I use a smaller dish it is a 10x10 we like to crust to be thicker when I make it when we are going to have gust over I make it in a 9x13 pan and make the crust recipe again by half (1 ½).
This does not change the cooking time.
Enjoy!

EASY CHICKEN POT PIE
2# chicken meat, cooked and diced
1 ½ C frozen peas
1 ½ C sliced carrots
¼ t black pepper
one can cream of chicken soup
¾ C reserved chicken stock or water
1 stick (1/2 C) salted butter, melted
1 C self-rising flour
1 C buttermilk

*Preheat oven to 400 F.

*In the bottom of a 9x13 casserole, layer chicken. Top with peas, then carrots. Sprinkle with black pepper.

*In a small bowl, whisk together soup and chicken stock. Pour over chicken and vegetables.

*In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, flour and buttermilk. Pour on top of casserole and place in oven.

*Bake 45 minutes or until lightly browned and crust is cooked through.

3 comments:

Mormon Mom Cast

YUM! Pot pies are a hit at my house. Can't wait to try this recipe!!

Whit

Mormon Mom Cast

Two quick comments:

1) I forgot to mention the vinegar in milk trick for the recipe below - so THANKS for putting it in yours.

2) Instead of cream of chicken soup, I make a white sauce and flavor with chicken boullion. Cheaper and it tastes DIVINE. You can also do "rue cubes" by mixing flour and butter, scooping them with a melon baller and freezing them. Just add to milk for rue.

Okay - enough from me. I think I'm making this recipe for dinner tonight!!

Mormon Mom Cast

I made it (finally!) and it was a huge hit!!!!!

Thanks!!

Whit

MBA Recipes   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP