1/18/07

Enchilada Casserole

"This is one of my favorite recipes because it's fairly easy to make and everyone at our house loves it. I also take it often to potluck events, and it's always a hit. I can't remember when I've taken it somewhere when I didn't get asked for the recipe. Also, it's a good one to double and put half of it in the freezer to pull out and cook on a busy day."

Enchilada Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 green bell pepper, diced fine (I leave this out if I don't have it on hand. If I do, I puree for our gang because of the veggie-fear factor)
I medium onion, chopped
1 16 oz. can of pinto beans, drained (or 3/4 c. dry beans, cooked)
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 clove garlic
1 c. salsa, as mild or hot as you prefer
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
12 corn tortillas (Our kids like the ones labeled "thin" the best if you can find them. But I usually use regular ones.)
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheese

After baking: (use items desired)
Spread with sour cream
shredded lettuce
chopped tomato
sliced olives

In a large skillet, brown the meat. Add all the "before baking" items except the tortillas and cheese. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon a small amount of mixture into a 9X13 pan to cover bottom of pan. Top with 6 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Top with half the meat mixture, sprinkle with 1 c. cheese. Repeat.

Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Top with remaining items as desired.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

0 comments:

MBA Recipes   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP